The Mercedes-Benz 300 SL is a piece of automobile legend, the famed German maker's super sports car with gull wings that once were seen, were never forgotten. It was a 1954 release, and drew largely upon a successful racing prototype from 2 years earlier, inheriting the inner mechanics of a race car and THAT sublime silhouette.
What could the world do but embrace such a thing of beauty? In fact, the gull wings were not only an aesthetic masterstroke, they were born of necessity: the 300 SL's state-of-the-art tubular space frame made the use of "regular" side-opening doors somewhat impractical. The body had in fact received a few minor tweaks from the original prototype, resulting in a more elegant road-going sports car-esque appearance. Power was provided by an inline-6 engine that featured direct injection technology (a world first) that generated 215hp and a considerable amount of speed. Naturally, fans across the world clamored (and still do) to get their hands on the 300 SL.
- This is a 1/24 scale plastic model assembly kit of the Mercedes-Benz 300 SL
- Length: 188mm
- Width: 75mm
- Height: 53mm
- The complex tubular space frame is given a breathtaking rendition in 1/24 scale. It is constructed in the same way as that of the actual car
- The sporty yet elegant form of the body is captured magnificently
- Gull wing doors are moving, and can be left in open position.
- The engine hood also opens, to reveal the realistic recreation of the 300 SL's inline-6 engine
- Nylon mesh is included to recreate the front intakes
- Metal transfers are provided to depict mirror surfaces and logos
- Features realistic synthetic rubber tires
- Take some time to drink in the excellent accuracy in the recreation of the elegant 300 SL form
- The car's iconic gull wing doors are opening, as is the engine hood. Stay parts are included to prop them open
- The model authentically captures the inline-6 engine at its distinctive cant used to achieve the low-nose form
- Metal transfers are used to recreate logos such as the Mercedes-Benz emblem, giving a high-quality finish
- Nylon mesh is included in the kit to enable realistic depiction of the air intakes inside the front grille
- Separate parts are used to recreate the fender air outlets, metal plated parts providing the finishing touch
- The tubular space frame was cutting edge, used widely among racing cars at the time. It is breathtakingly recreated
- The model gives a real understanding of the 300 SL layout including engine, prop shaft and gas tank
- Clear under guard parts are included. Leave them unpainted to appreciate the frame, even after completion
- Don't forget the interior, which offers a great level of detail including instrumentation depicted with decals
- Bucket seats really emphasize the sporty nature of the 300 SL, which has its roots in a prototype racing car
- Bumper parts are included to recreate U.S. or European spec 300 SL models.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.